Board of Directors
Barbara Parker - President
- 30 year resident of Roosevelt Island.
- Current Board Member, serving as Secretary and Community Outreach Liaison.
- Certified Health and Fitness Instructor, organizing Health & Wellness Programs including fitness classes on Roosevelt Island.
- Certified Healthy Lifestyle Consultant & Coordinator with over 20 years of experience.
- Worked on community outreach with our elected political representatives, overseeing presentations: IDNYC, MYLAG Mobile Legal Van, NY State Senior Action.
- Restructured RISA Membership Drive including significant merchant discounts.
RISA Goals: For RISA to continue providing essential services, broadening its outreach and programs to a wider range of active older adults and special populations.
Donna Chenkin - Vice President
- 17 year resident of Roosevelt Island.
- Executive Director: Early childhood education center at Belmont Park for children of backstretch employees for 14 years.
- Served on the Board of Backstretch Employee Service Team (BEST) for New York Race Tracks.
- Raised $13M to build the center and left an endowment of $6.4M.
RISA Goals: To increase donations and grants in order to take special trips and purchase supplies; to increase membership by promoting the organization more broadly in Manhattan Park, Octagon, and Riverwalk.
What programs/events would you like to help create?
Sherie Helstien - Secretary
- 27 year resident of Roosevelt Island.
- Served a total of 19 years on RIRA; 10 years as Secretary; currently serving two-year term as Vice President. Actively involved in Government Relations and SC&E Committees presenting the RI Day RIRA Blood Drive; the Cherry Blossom Festival, and a myriad of other RIRA programs/events.
RISA Goals: To help create interesting programs for a broader age range of older adults through my relationships with other residents in the community; plan trips to off-Island locales, such as the Bronx Botanical Gardens.
What ideas for programs do you have?